We help you find affordable life insurance by matching you with the best life insurance companies based on your individual HIV history.
The Main Points Addressed in this HIV Life Insurance Guide Are:
- Life Insurance for HIV Positive – The Key Factors
- How Does HIV Life Insurance Underwriting Work?
- HIV Life Insurance Companies
- HIV Life Insurance Questions You May Have
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), an estimated 1.2 million people are living with HIV in the U.S.
Life Insurance for HIV Positive – Key Factors
A few years back, Prudential jumped into the HIV life insurance market with their term life insurance program.
It was the first time that a U.S. based life insurance company offered an underwriting program specifically to help people who are HIV positive.
Since that time, other life insurers have improved their life insurance programs and have created market competition for Prudential.
The critical factors that HIV life insurance underwriting looks for are:
- Your age at the time of diagnosis
- CD4 levels at the time of diagnosis
- Your lowest recorded CD4
- Viral loads – when diagnosed, during treatment and current levels
- Medications – Your medication history including compliance
- Medical History –Do you have any other health issues?
- Tobacco Status – Cigarette smoking is hard to get approved except for guaranteed issue life insurance.
You may be asking yourself, Can I get life insurance if I have HIV?
We’ll help you find the best life insurance company based on your individual HIV history.
How Does HIV Life Insurance Underwriting Work?
While HIV life insurance underwriting is complicated at times, we’re here to help you get approved.
HIV life insurance underwriting involves the following steps:
- Do you meet the criteria (details below) established by the company?
- Application – Some companies require a formal application, while others require an informal submission of medical records first for review.
- Paramedical exam – A paramed consists of height, weight, blood pressure checks, blood and urine samples, resting EKG (depending on age) and detailed health questions are required.
- Medical records – All medical records are required except for guaranteed issue policies.
- Underwriting Decision – If you qualify, underwriting will make an offer for you to consider and either accept or reject. If you are declined, we’ll revisit other options available to you.
- Time frame – Underwriting takes about eight weeks to complete.
One of the advantages we offer over the competition is that we handle everything. We order the medical records and paramed exams here.
The benefit to you is that if we need to pivot to another company, we’ll be able to do that quickly for you as we’ll have most information in-house already.
HIV Life Insurance Companies
The life insurance companies with HIV programs are listed here, with full program details later on.
- Prudential HIV Life Insurance
- John Hancock HIV Life Insurance
- Symetra HIV Life Insurance
- American National HIV Life Insurance
- Kemper HIV Life Insurance
- AXA HIV Life Insurance
- Guardian HIV Life Insurance
Please submit your quote request, and we’ll narrow down the best life insurance companies for you.
Quick snapshot of the most competitive HIV life insurance options:
Prudential Life Insurance for HIV Positive
Prudential Financial offers term life insurance with their program.
Term life insurance lengths available are a choice of 10 or 15-year term.
Face Amounts of $100,000 – $2,500,000
The term life insurance policies are convertible to universal life insurance at a later date, subject to the conversion rules in place for your policy.
Prudential HIV Positive Underwriting:
Prudential requires a self-identifying process as outlined in this document:
Living with HIV – Discussing Life Insurance – Click here for the guide or see below.
Prudential HIV underwriting criteria include:
- You are age 30 to 60 years at the time of application submission and in generally good health.
- You must reside in the United States. Applications written in Hawaii or Vermont will not be accepted due to state restrictions.
- The virus was not acquired via blood transfusion or intravenous drug use.
- It has been more than one year since HIV diagnosis and, if being treated, greater than six months since current Anti-Retroviral Therapy (ART) was initiated.
- Your medical regimen has been stable for at least six months before application with a minimum of 2 recorded, acceptable CD4 counts and viral load results post medication change.
- Viral load is undetectable (< 200 copies/ml) and stable.
- CD4 count and viral load have been recorded within six months from time of application.
- CD4 count falls within these parameters:
- No history of CD4 count ever being < 200, including at the time of initial diagnosis.
- CD4 count must be stable and > 500 for at least one year and with no physician plan to initiate treatment.
- A history of CD4 count < 200 is permitted if being successfully treated for more than five years.
- CD4 count must have been > 500 after the initiation of treatment. CD4 must currently be at least 350, and stable.
- You have no history of AIDS-defining condition. For more information, please visit the CDC
- You must be consistently compliant with your treating physician’s recommendations for follow-up care and routine testing for CD4 counts and viral loads.
- You are free of Hepatitis B / Free of Hepatitis C.
- You are free of respiratory diseases such as Tuberculosis (TB) or Non-TB mycobacterial infection.
- Non-smokers only
In addition to the above criteria, if you have any other health issues, it’s important to let us know as it may affect the availability of life insurance.
Prudential HIV Underwriting Offers
If coverage is available, a life insurance table rating “H” is added to the price plus a flat-extra expense of $250 per every $100,000 of coverage you consider.
How much does life insurance cost with HIV? The following charts provide some sample quotes.
Prudential HIV Life Insurance Rates for Males
The above sample monthly rates are for males, term essential 10 product quoted at standard table “H” rate plus a flat extra of $2.50 per $1,000 of coverage. Rates as of 02/2019
Prudential HIV Life Insurance Rates for Females
The above sample monthly rates are for females, term essential 10 product quoted at standard table “H” rate plus a flat extra of $2.50 per $1,000 of coverage. Rates as of 02/2019
John Hancock HIV Life Insurance
John Hancock offers term life insurance and universal life insurance.
Face Amounts of $250,000 – $2,000,000
John Hancock HIV Underwriting
John Hancock takes a different approach to HIV+ life insurance underwriting.
John Hancock requires that we submit their pre-application and medical records upfront for review.
John Hancock HIV underwriting criteria:
- Age 30 – 65 at time of application.
- You must have been diagnosed with HIV more than five years ago.
- Treatment with antiretroviral therapy (ART) for at least five years with no lapses or delays in treatment.
- Continuous monitoring with a physician, at least every six months.
- Undetectable viral load (less than 20 copies/ml) for at least two years.
- Current CD4 count must be equal to or greater than 350. A high CD4 count helps with underwriting.
- Non-tobacco users only.
- No prior medical history of:
John Hancock HIV Underwriting Offers
If life insurance for someone with HIV is available from John Hancock, underwriting offers will require that table ratings be added plus an additional expense called a flat extra.
2019 John Hancock HIV Update – There have been some improvements with John Hancock recently as we’ve received approvals recently that did not require the flat extra expense!
The underwriting offer range is a Table 6 – 12 range (table rating explanation) plus a flat-extra expense of $200 per every $100,000 of coverage.
John Hancock HIV Life Insurance Rates for Males
The above sample monthly rates are for males, 10-year term product quoted at standard table “D” (best case scenario) rate plus a flat extra of $2.00 per $1,000 of coverage. Rates as of 02/2019
John Hancock HIV Life Insurance Rates for Females
The above sample monthly rates are for females, 10-year term product quoted at standard table “D” (best case scenario) rate plus a flat extra of $2.00 per $1,000 of coverage. Rates as of 02/2019
Symetra HIV Life Insurance
Symetra offers universal life insurance. Symetra offers a no lapse guaranteed death benefit policy that allows you to dial in the duration of time you would like the coverage to last from 10 years to age 120.
While term life insurance is not available, the no-lapse guaranteed products are very competitive when compared to term policies.
Face Amounts of $100,000 – $1,000,000
Symetra HIV Underwriting Criteria:
With Symetra, life insurance is available on a case by case basis and requires reinsurance review.
The following are general underwriting criteria:
- Insured must be age 35 or older.
- It has been more than three years since HIV diagnosis
- It must be more than five years since Anti-Retroviral Therapy (ART) was initiated and no lapses in treatment.
- Regular 6-month checkups with a physician.
- Favorable CD4.
- Favorable Viral Load
- Non-smokers only
Symetra HIV Underwriting Offers
Life insurance for HIV patients is available from Symetra, with underwriting offers starting at table 6 – 8 range. A flat extra expense of $200 per every $100,000 of coverage may be added to the price.
It’s important to see the full illustration for any product you have interest in buying. We’ll provide to you when we speak.
We’ve found that Symetra pricing for permanent insurance is comparable or sometimes better priced than some of the HIV term life insurance options of other companies.
Symetra uses reinsurance companies as part of their program, and we’ve found Symetra to be competitive for most applicants.
The above sample monthly rates are for males, 10-year duration quoted at a standard table “6” (best case scenario) rate plus a flat extra of $2.00 per $1,000 of coverage. Rates as of 02/2018
American National HIV Life Insurance
American National Insurance Company (ANICO) is based out of Galveston, Texas.
ANICO offers term life insurance and universal life insurance policies to insureds who are HIV positive.
Face Amounts of $250,000 – $1,000,000 will be considered.
Additional life insurance may be available through reinsurance relationships.
American National HIV Underwriting
The following are the general criteria that ANICO considers when underwriting policies:
- Compliance with antiretroviral therapy for a minimum of 6 months.
- Regularly scheduled visits with physicians at least every six months.
- The virus was not acquired from intravenous drug use.
- Stable undetectable viral loads with CD4 counts greater than 500.
- No evidence of AIDS-defining conditions for greater than five years.
- No evidence of drug abuse ever.
- No co-infection with Hepatitis B or C.
- No other significant health conditions that would be rated Table 4 or higher.
American National HIV Life Insurance Offers
When life insurance is available, the most likely offers will receive a standard rate plus an additional expense called a table rating.
The typical table rating will add 150-200% to the standard rates.
In some cases, it may be possible to obtain a table 4 rating, which would add 100% to standard rates.
Guardian HIV Life Insurance
Guardian recently announced that they will now offer HIV insurance coverage.
With Guardian HIV life insurance, the type of coverage offered is whole life insurance.
Some additional details to their HIV lifetime coverage include:
- Issue Ages – Age 20 – 60.
- Coverage amounts – $25,000 – $2,000,000
- Whole Life Insurance only
- Anti-retroviral therapy must have started at least two years ago
- Favorable lab results
- Regularly scheduled visits with physicians who specialize in helping HIV patients.
- No AIDS-defining illnesses
- No history of IV drug use or substance abuse
- No history of hepatitis
It’s too early to tell yet if this program will be competitive for clients. With the low face amounts of coverage available, it’s possible that this may be used as burial insurance for HIV patients.
Kemper Life Insurance for HIV
Reserve National Insurance Company is part of the Kemper Life & Health Company.
Kemper offers a guaranteed issue whole life insurance policy as follows:
- Coverage Amounts from $2,000 – $25,000
- Issue Ages 40-80 (Missouri is 40-75)
- Rates are the same for smokers and non-smokers
- There are no health questions
- The death benefit during the first two years of the policy is graded.
- The full death benefit is paid for deaths in year 3 or later.
- The premium is guaranteed never to increase.
For people looking for a small burial life insurance policy for HIV patients, this may be a great option to consider.
AXA Life Insurance with HIV
AXA offers universal life insurance and whole life insurance. Term life insurance is not available.
Face Amounts – $100,000 – $10,000,000
AXA HIV Underwriting Criteria
The minimum underwriting criteria for AXA include the following:
- Minimum age = 20
- Treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) for the last three years or longer
- Viral loads have been undetectable for the past 2.5 years or longer.
- Lowest Historical CD4 count was 500 or higher.
- A current CD4 count is 750 or greater
- Regularly scheduled checkups with a physician every three months
- The patient is in total compliance with all medical regimens and follow-up monitoring.
- No History of AIDS-defining illness
- No history of hepatitis
- No history of cancer
- No other significant health issues.
- Normal cognitive function with no psychiatric disorders.
- No history of drug or alcohol abuse
- Non-tobacco users
AXA HIV Underwriting Offers
Under Age 50 – The best case scenario is a Table “E” rating, which adds 125% to the standard rate class.
Age 50 or older – Table “D” (100% added to standard) is the best case scenario.
Companies that are not underwriting HIV positive
The following life insurance companies are not currently underwriting applications for those with HIV.
- Banner Life Insurance Company
- Lincoln Financial Group
- Nationwide Life Insurance Company
- Pacific Life Insurance Company
- Protective Life Insurance Company
- Sagicor Life Insurance Company
- SBLI of Massachusetts
- United of Omaha Life Insurance Company
We’ll update this list as companies improve their HIV underwriting.
HIV Life Insurance Questions You May Have
We receive a lot of great questions from people and update this article as we receive the same questions again and again.
Do all life insurance companies test for HIV?
All life insurance companies test for HIV unless you are looking at a guaranteed issue life insurance policy such as Kemper’s whole life policy.
In addition to the life insurance HIV test, insurers require that you have current test results available from your physician within the past six months.
The lab tests from your physician must include CD4 and viral loads.
Can I get life insurance if I was declined due to HIV?
Yes, you may still qualify for life insurance even if you were declined in the past for HIV.
The following guide – denied life insurance provides insight as to how life insurance declines work.
It’s crucial for us to know up front about your prior life insurance applications, notably if you were declined by carriers that specialize in HIV life insurance underwriting.
Were you declined by the actual HIV life insurance program or were you refused before the company had a plan available?
We’ll review the options available for you and will help you figure out the best game plan moving forward.
If you have a partner who is HIV negative and takes Truvada, we have life insurance companies who will now offer insurance to them as well.
HIV Life Insurance Conclusion
When you submit your request, it’s sent directly to me – Michael Horbal.
I’m the owner of RiskQuoter.com and will be the only one handling your request.
There’s no obligation or pressure with my service. I’ll tell you what to expect with life insurance in terms of underwriting and price.