Everything you need to know about HIV Life insurance is covered here.
This HIV Life Insurance Guide Covers:
- Life Insurance for HIV Positive – Key Factors
- HIV Life Insurance Underwriting
- Prudential Life Insurance for HIV Positive
- John Hancock HIV Life Insurance
- Symetra HIV Life Insurance
- American National HIV Life Insurance
- Kemper – Reserve National Insurance Company
HIV Life Insurance Overview
Until just a few years ago, no life insurance companies would consider coverage if you were HIV positive.
What changed in the market is that several studies completed over the past few years developed criteria to assess the risk of life insurance for HIV patients.
Life expectancy data rivaled other high-risk health conditions, prompting life insurers to develop underwriting programs for improvements in healthcare.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), there are an estimated 1.2 million people living with HIV in the U.S, making this long overdue.
The result is that we now have life insurers willing to consider if you are being treated for HIV and meet the life insurance underwriting criteria that have been established.
Life Insurance for HIV Positive – Key Factors
Yes, getting life insurance for people with HIV is possible if you meet the criteria that life insurers require, such as:
- Age at time of diagnosis
- CD4 levels – at time of diagnosis and lowest recorded CD4.
- Viral loads – when diagnosed, during treatment and current.
- Medications – Medication history and compliance with instructions.
- Medical History – Underwriting becomes increasingly difficult with any history of cancer, heart conditions, GI problems, liver disease or significant mental health problems.
HIV Life Insurance Underwriting
Life insurance underwriting for HIV is difficult and filled with obstacles along the way.
With that being said, if you meet the underwriting criteria, we believe it’s worth the time to apply for life insurance.
HIV life insurance underwriting involves the following steps:
- Do you meet all the criteria established by the company?
- Application – Some companies require a formal request for consideration, while others require an informal submission of medical records first for review.
- Paramed exam – A paramed consisting of height, weight, blood pressure checks, blood and urine samples, resting EKG (depending on age) and detailed health questions are required.
- Medical records – As part of underwriting, we’ll obtain all medical records for review.
- Underwriting Decision – If you qualify, underwriting will make an offer for you to consider and either accept or reject. If you are declined, underwriting will let you know.
- Time frame – Underwriting takes about eight weeks to complete.
Another advantage of our service is that we work with all of these companies. The benefit to you is that if we need to pivot to another company, we’ll be able to do that quickly for you.
Do all life insurance companies test for HIV?
Kemper’s guaranteed issue policy does not require HIV testing.
In addition to the life insurance HIV test, life insurers will require that you have current test results available from your physician within the past six months.
The lab tests from your physician must include CD4 and viral loads.
Can I get life insurance if I was declined due to HIV?
Yes, you may still qualify for life insurance even if you were declined in the past for HIV.
Start with the following guide – denied life insurance.
It’s important for us to know up front about your prior life insurance applications, especially if you were declined by carriers that specialize in HIV life insurance underwriting.
Were you declined by the actual HIV life insurance program or were you refused before the company had a plan available?
We’ll review the options available for you and will help you figure out the best game plan moving forward.
If you have a partner who is HIV negative and takes Truvada, we have life insurance companies who will now offer insurance to them as well.
HIV Life Insurance Company Comparison
Prudential Life Insurance for HIV Positive
Prudential Financial offers term life insurance with their program.
Term life insurance lengths available are a choice of 10 or 15-year term.
Face Amounts of $100,000 – $2,500,000
The term life insurance policies are convertible to universal life insurance at a later date, subject to the conversion rules in place for your policy.
Prudential HIV Positive Underwriting:
Prudential requires a self-identifying process as outlined in this document:
Living with HIV – Discussing Life Insurance – Click here for the guide or see below.
Prudential HIV underwriting criteria include:
- You are age 30 to 60 years at the time of application submission and in generally good health.
- You must reside in the United States. Applications written in Hawaii or Vermont will not be accepted due to state restrictions.
- The virus was not acquired via blood transfusion or intravenous drug use.
- It has been more than one year since HIV diagnosis and, if being treated, greater than six months since current Anti-Retroviral Therapy (ART) was initiated.
- Your medical regimen has been stable for at least 6 months before application with a minimum of 2 recorded, acceptable CD4 counts and viral load results post medication change.
- Viral load is undetectable (< 200 copies/ml) and stable.
- CD4 count and viral load have been recorded within six months from time of application.
- CD4 count falls within these parameters:
- No history of CD4 count ever being < 200, including at the time of initial diagnosis.
- CD4 count must be stable and > 500 for at least one year and with no physician plan to initiate treatment.
- A history of CD4 count < 200 is permitted if being successfully treated for more than five years.
- CD4 count must have been > 500 after the initiation of treatment. CD4 must currently be at least 350, and stable.
- You have no history of AIDS-defining condition. For more information, please visit the CDC
- You must be consistently compliant with your treating physician’s recommendations for follow-up care and routine testing for CD4 counts and viral loads.
- You are free of Hepatitis B / Free of Hepatitis C.
- You are free of respiratory diseases such as Tuberculosis (TB) or Non-TB mycobacterial infection.
- Non-smokers only
In addition to the above criteria, if you have any other health issues, it’s important to let us know as it may affect the availability of life insurance.
Prudential HIV Underwriting Offers
If coverage is available, a life insurance table rating “H” is added to the price plus a flat-extra expense of $250 per every $100,000 of coverage you consider.
So, how much will life insurance cost with HIV? The following charts provide some sample quotes.
The above sample monthly rates are for males, term essential 10 product quoted at standard table “H” rate plus a flat extra of $2.50 per $1,000 of coverage. Rates as of 02/2018
The above sample monthly rates are for females, term essential 10 product quoted at standard table “H” rate plus a flat extra of $2.50 per $1,000 of coverage. Rates as of 02/2018
John Hancock HIV Life Insurance
John Hancock offers term life insurance and universal life insurance for HIV.
Face Amounts of $250,000 – $2,000,000
John Hancock HIV Underwriting
John Hancock takes a different approach to HIV+ life insurance underwriting.
John Hancock requires that we submit their pre-application and medical records upfront for review.
John Hancock HIV underwriting criteria include:
- Age 30 – 65 at time of application.
- You must have been diagnosed with HIV more than five years ago.
- Treatment with antiretroviral therapy (ART) for at least 5 years with no lapses or delays in treatment.
- Continuous monitoring with a physician, checkups at least every six months.
- Undetectable viral load (less than 20 copies/ml) for at least two years.
- Current CD4 count must be equal to or greater than 350. A high CD4 count helps with underwriting.
- Non-tobacco users only.
- No prior medical history of:
John Hancock HIV Underwriting Offers
If life insurance for HIV positive is available from John Hancock, underwriting offers will require that table ratings be added plus and additional expense called a flat extra.
The underwriting offer range is a Table 6 – 12 range (table rating explanation) plus a flat-extra expense of $200 per every $100,000 of coverage.
The above sample monthly rates are for males, 10-year term product quoted at standard table “D” (best case scenario) rate plus a flat extra of $2.00 per $1,000 of coverage. Rates as of 02/2018
The above sample monthly rates are for females, 10-year term product quoted at standard table “D” (best case scenario) rate plus a flat extra of $2.00 per $1,000 of coverage. Rates as of 02/2018
Symetra HIV Life Insurance
Symetra offers universal life insurance. Symetra offers a no lapse guaranteed death benefit policy that allows you to dial in the duration of time you would like the coverage to last from 10 years to age 120.
While term life insurance is not available, the no-lapse guaranteed products are very competitive when compared to term policies.
Face Amounts of $100,000 – $1,000,000
Symetra HIV Underwriting Criteria:
With Symetra, life insurance is available on a case by case basis and requires reinsurance review.
The following are general criteria:
- Insured must be age 35 or older.
- It has been more than three years since HIV diagnosis
- It must be more than five years since Anti-Retroviral Therapy (ART) was initiated and no lapses in treatment.
- Regular 6-month checkups with a physician.
- Favorable CD4.
- Favorable Viral Load
- Non-smokers only
Symetra HIV Underwriting Offers
If life insurance is available from Symetra, underwriting offers will start at table 6 – 8 range and may require a flat extra expense of $200 per every $100,000 of coverage.
The following is to give you a ballpark idea of pricing.
It’s important to see the full illustration for any product you have interest in buying. We’ll provide to you when we speak.
We’ve found that Symetra pricing for permanent insurance is comparable or sometimes better priced than some of the term life insurance options of other carriers.
Symetra uses reinsurance companies as part of their program, and we’ve found Symetra to be competitive for most applicants.
The above sample monthly rates are for males, 10-year duration quoted at a standard table “6” (best case scenario) rate plus a flat extra of $2.00 per $1,000 of coverage. Rates as of 02/2018
American National HIV Life Insurance
American National Insurance Company (ANICO) is based out of Galveston, Texas.
ANICO offers term life insurance and universal life insurance policies to insureds who are HIV positive.
Face Amounts of $250,000 – $1,000,000 will be considered.
Additional life insurance may be available through reinsurance relationships.
American National HIV Underwriting
The following are the general criteria that ANICO considers when underwriting policies:
- Compliance with antiretroviral therapy for a minimum of 6 months.
- Regularly scheduled visits with physicians at least every six months.
- The virus was not acquired from intravenous drug use.
- Stable undetectable viral loads with CD4 counts greater than 500.
- No evidence of AIDS-defining conditions for greater than 5 years.
- No evidence of drug abuse ever.
- No co-infection with Hepatitis B or C.
- No other significant health conditions that would be rated Table 4 or higher.
American National HIV Life Insurance Offers
When life insurance is available, the most likely offers will receive a standard rate plus an additional expense called a table rating.
The typical table rating will add 150-200% to the standard rates.
In some cases, it may be possible to obtain a table 4 rating, which would add 100% to standard rates.
Guardian HIV Life Insurance
Guardian recently announced that they will now offer HIV insurance coverage.
With Guardian HIV life insurance, the type of coverage offered is whole life insurance.
Some additional details to their HIV lifetime coverage include:
- Issue Ages – Age 20 – 60.
- Coverage amounts – $25,000 – $2,000,000
- Whole Life Insurance
- Anti-retroviral therapy must have started at least two years ago
- Favorable lab results
- Regularly scheduled visits with physicians who specialize in helping HIV patients.
- No AIDS-defining illnesses
- No history of IV drug use or substance abuse
- No history of hepatitis
It’s too early to tell yet if this program will be competitive for clients. With the low face amounts of coverage available, it’s possible that this may be used as burial insurance for HIV patients.
It’s great to see additional companies like Guardian offer HIV life insurance.
We’ll continue to update HIV life insurance information from Guardian as we receive it.
Kemper Life Insurance for HIV
Reserve National Insurance Company is part of the Kemper Life & Health Company.
Kemper offers a guaranteed issue whole life insurance policy as follows:
- Coverage Amounts from $2,000 – $25,000
- Issue Ages 40-80 (Missouri is 40-75)
- Rates are the same for smokers and non-smokers
- There are no health questions
- The death benefit during the first two years of the policy is graded.
- The full death benefit is paid for deaths in year 3 or later.
- The premium is guaranteed never to increase.
For people looking for a small burial life insurance policy for HIV patients, this may be a great option to consider.
AXA Life Insurance with HIV
AXA offers universal life insurance and whole life insurance. Term life insurance is not available.
Face Amounts – $100,000 – $10,000,000
AXA HIV Underwriting Criteria
The minimum underwriting criteria for AXA include the following:
- Minimum age = 20
- Treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) for the last 3 years or longer
- Viral loads have been undetectable for the past 2.5 years or longer.
- Lowest Historical CD4 count was 500 or greater.
- A current CD4 count is 750 or greater
- Regularly scheduled checkups with a physician every 3 months
- The patient is in total compliance with all medical regimens and follow-up monitoring.
- No History of AIDS-defining illness
- No history of hepatitis
- No history of cancer
- No other significant health issues.
- Normal cognitive function with no psychiatric disorders.
- No history of drug or alcohol abuse
- Non-tobacco users
AXA HIV Underwriting Offers
Under Age 50 – The best case scenario is a Table “E” rating, which adds 125% to the standard rate class.
Age 50 or older – Table “D” (100% added to standard) is the best case scenario.
Other Life Insurers HIV Underwriting
The above companies represent the best options for life insurance currently.
The following companies may consider life insurance through a reinsurance arrangement on a case by case basis. The following companies use the same reinsurer.
The general guidelines include the following:
- Maximum coverage amount – $1,000,000 – $2,000,000
- Permanent insurance only – universal life or whole life if available
- Diagnosed greater than 5 years ago
- Anti-retroviral treatment for a minimum of 6 months
- Current viral load is undetectable
- CD4 is 500 or greater
While Brighthouse will consider life insurance for you, their product no longer fits the market as their maximum insurance rating is less than the minimum they would charge you here.
In addition, their policy requires a one-time lump sum payment for all years.
Principal offers some universal life insurance policies that may be available to you depending on your age, coverage amount, state of residence, etc.
Principal’s universal life products include no lapse guaranteed products as well as cash value accumulating products.
While Minnesota Life will consider coverage, our experience with Minnesota has been negative, and we would not recommend this company.
Important to note is that if companies like Symetra, Prudential, John Hancock and AXA will not offer coverage to you, Brighthouse, Principal, and Minnesota will not either.
Companies that are not underwriting HIV positive
The following life insurance companies are not currently underwriting applications for those with HIV.
While that may change in the future, here are the carriers that we’re aware of:
- Banner Life Insurance Company
- Lincoln Financial Group
- Nationwide Life Insurance Company
- Pacific Life Insurance Company
- Protective Life Insurance Company
- Sagicor Life Insurance Company
- SBLI of Massachusetts
- United of Omaha Life Insurance Company
Check back often as these life insurers may change their underwriting guidelines in the future.
Request a No Pressure, No Obligation life insurance quote today.
When you submit your request, it will be sent directly to me – Michael Horbal.
I’m the owner of RiskQuoter.com and will be the only one handling your request.
Keep in mind that there is never any pressure or obligation with my service. Thank you.